This Churros with Spicy Sipping Chocolate recipe is part of a sponsored collaboration with Vive Mejor and DiMe Media. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
Christmas is a week away and I’m about half way finished with holiday shopping for everyone on my list. Everything I’ve purchased so far has been bought online in the comfort of my own home. I was feeling like a total grinch because I had not set foot inside a store, listened to one single Christmas carol, hung a single ornament on a tree or worn an ugly holiday sweater. Today was the day I would let the sun and cool breeze kiss my face. I headed over to the mall to finish checking off my list like the good ‘ol pre Amazon Prime days.
After 45 minutes of circling the massive mall parking lot, navigating my way through thousands of people and not buying one single gift, I headed back home and made churros. Yes, churros.
My weekend excursion wasn’t a complete waste. I was inspired to go home and do what makes me happy. I tied my apron on, searched for a churro recipe on ViveMejor.com and got to work on one of my favorite Mexican desserts with Country Crock® Spread.
My shopping trauma therapy didn’t end there. I decided to make a spicy sipping chocolate to accompany the churros. Sipping chocolate is rich, thick and amazingly delicious. The beverage is so thick, it can actually be used as a chocolatey dipping sauce for the churros as well.
I was in the mood to just sit, relax and enjoy churros with spicy sipping chocolate as I completed my holiday shopping online. It was the best decision I made today.
Want more ideas? Find your holiday meal inspirations one click away by visiting ViveMejor.com. Get more help with your menu planning by following the hashtag #MiCocinaViveMejor on social media or follow ViveMejor on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to take your weekly menu to another level.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Country Crock® Spread
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- grape seed oil for frying
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups almond milk
- 7 ounces 70% cacao dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine water, Country Crock® Spread, and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in flour and reduce heat to low, stirring vigorously, until mixture forms a ball; about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in eggs until mixture is smooth.
- In a stock pot, heat 2 inches in depth of oil until over medium heat until it reaches 360° F.
- On a separate shallow plate, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Spoon dough into pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Squeeze out 5-6 inch long strips, squeezing ends together to form loops. Gently place in hot oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown; about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels then transfer to cinnamon/sugar mixture and coat evenly.
- Heat almond milk in a small saucepan for 1 minute. Add chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted. Add vanilla, cinnamon powder, cayenne powder and sea salt. Whisk to froth. Serve in small espresso size cups. Dust with cayenne powder or cinnamon powder if desired. Serve with churros.