This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SummerVino #CollectiveBias The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
This week, summer made its mark and announced its arrival with an unexpected heat wave. With temperatures reaching 110° F in some parts of Southern California, we had to break out the refreshing adult treats and just bask in what the sun had in store for us. With a little creativity, we found a great way to make the extreme weather conditions more bearable and yes, believe it or not, delicious and entertaining.
Poptails, or popsicle-cocktails, are a fun way to enjoy an out-of-the-ordinary cocktail on a stick. Just like Mexican paletas, but with an added fun twist of red wine. By using a variety of fruit and wines, like a sangria, the possibilities are endless.
As a family tradition during cook-outs and picnics, we love top prepare fruit paletas and grill fresh strawberries, top them with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of powdered sugar to finish off a hearty meal. I love those sweet and tangy flavors of this very unique confection and a Mexican paleta is loved by everyone. I decided to incorporate the two and make this dessert extra special. As a new adult treat tradition during our days of excessive heat, I found a great way to turn them into a cocktail and add merlot to the mix. My wine of choice for this tasty treat, Sutter Home Merlot.
Sutter Home Wine has so many varietals of award-winning wines that fit any taste and budget. Readily available at your local grocery store, it is my go-to wine to bring people together on a whim or on any special occasion. Plus, you can make sure that with 65 year history, Sutter Home Wines are sure to deliver a consistent and quality product at an affordable price. No need to break the bank for a distinctive bottle of wine.
For more information on Sutter Home Wines or recipe inspiration, visit their social channels below, or follow the hashtag #SummerVino.
- Sutter Homes on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SutterHome
- Sutter Homes onTwitter: https://twitter.com/SutterHome
- Sutter Homes onYoutube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sutterhome
- Sutter Homes onPinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sutterhome/
- Sutter Homes onInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/sutterhomewines/
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Sutter Home Merlot
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix well with a large spoon until all ingredients have combined.
- Spread strawberry mixture evenly on a baking sheet. Place in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine merlot, remaining sugar and cinnamon stick. Simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool slightly. Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Place half the roasted strawberry mixture and wine mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Divide remaining roasted strawberries in popsicle molds. Pour in wine/strawberry mixture. Freeze for 1 hour and insert popsicle stick. Return to freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours or until set.