This is a sponsored post by Sabra Hummus. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep this blog possible.
There’s been so much football news lately. Los Angeles will finally get a professional football team (maybe two or three!), and a new stadium will be built in Inglewood. Not too far from where I live. I’m excited and football fever is making its way back into our home. I foresee many, many tailgating parties and homegating get-togethers. It’s an exciting time to live in Los Angeles.
Football food has evolved tremendously since the last time I attended a football game. I have to get with the times and practice my tailgating menu. Buffalo chicken wings and cheese sticks are so 2001.
Food vessels of all kinds are the trend. Tortilla cups, potato boats and bread bowls. Easy, portable and if it possible, no silverware and no mess. Everything is fair game. Avocado skins are the perfect appetizer vessel because they are the just the right serving size and can easily be held in one hand with a tortilla chip in the other.
That’s why I decided to turn some tasty avocados into some fun football food with Sabra Classic Hummus. On the game time menu: hummus avocado cups with spicy Greek salad. These colorful hummus and avocado cups are filled with lots of crunchy veggies for the perfect mix of texture and flavor in an appetizer.
Whether your cheering your team on at home or at a tailgate party, come prepared with this fun and healthy snack. Head to your local grocery store, save your receipt, and take advantage of Sabra’s Buy, Snap Score promotion before Feb. 15, 2016. You can redeem your receipt to score a $5.00 gift card. Visit the Sabra and Stacy’s Dipzone website for more information.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English hothouse cucumber, rinsed and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 small avocados
- 1 1/2 cups Sabra Classic Hummus
- thyme sprigs for garnish
- Combine chopped tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, feta cheese, capers, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pit and scoop out flesh. Reserve skin cups to use as vessels. Place avocado flesh in a large bowl. Add hummus and mix gently leaving avocado chunks in mix.
- Scoop avocado/hummus mixture back in the avocado cups. Top with salad. Garnish with thyme sprigs.