I felt a chill in the air today. I’m excited because I get to wear my new scarf and long sleeve shirt Fall is officialy here! We can’t exactly wear jackets in Los Angeles yet but at least we won’t look crazy drinking hot, comforting drinks in 90 degree weather anymore. I love the classic champurrado but when I have the opportunity to recreate a classic with a bit of a flavorful twist, I’m all for it.
This isn’t exactly a full chocolate drink. Although I won’t say no to anything chocolate, specially Mexican chocolate, this cup of warmth is more of an atole. Because it calls for corn flour to thicken up and to give it that distinctive masa taste and smell, it takes on the consistency of a thick atole. If you prefer your beverage to be thinner, you can always add more milk until your desired delicious consistency is reached.
The month of October is more than halfway over and Day of the Dead is near. What better way to remember your loved ones with a cup of piping hot pumpkin champurrado? Enjoy the sweet flavors of fall in this easy recipe. Perfect for special occasions like Dia de los Muertos and Thanksgiving.
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup masa flour
- 3 cups Lactose Free 2% Milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablets (90g each) NESTLÉ® ABUELITA® Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place hot water and masa flour in large saucepan; whisk until smooth. Add milk, pumpkin and
- Abuelita chocolate. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 3 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency. Stir in vanilla extract. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Nestle and HEB.