Those walks to the torteria during the hot summer nights in my hometown of Torreon Coahuila were very memorable. My aunts, uncles and cousins walked hand in hand through the narrow streets to Tortas Torreon, the most popular torteria in town. Known for their infamous tortas de carnitas, the torteria, which was a stand with foldout chairs arranged throughout the sidewalk, had a daily line of hungry patrons that extended around the corner.
I stood in line but I wasn’t there for their carnitas torta, I was there for their secret torta, the grilled hot dog torta. This special torta was considered a secret because it was not listed on the menu but the locals did know about it (not so secret). It was said that the hot dog torta began here because kids would ask for hot dogs and not tortas. The owner found a way to profit from this request and began making his very own secret hot dog torta for the locals and their kids.
The pan de telera super-stuffed with two all-beef hot dogs and layered with queso fresco, refried beans, onion, mustard and last but not least, avocado. The avocado enveloped all of the ingredients together with its creaminess. It had this decadent buttery taste that made this torta extra tasty. For added spice, jalapeños en escabeche finished off this dish.
The recipe was simple enough but there was something special about these tortas. The combination of ingredients, loving family company, laughter and just the relaxed vibe of summer evenings made this dish a special one for me.
Now, I try my best to replicate this street food delicacy at home. My husband and son love it and we are now creating new and special torta moments this summer. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large torta breads (teleras), sliced
- 8 all-beef hot dogs, sliced lenghtwise
- 12 thin slices of queso fresco
- 3/4 cup refried pinto beans
- 2 large Avocados from Mexico, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced in rounds
- pickled jalapeños
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter over bread and place them on the skillet, butter side down until golden. Remove from heat.
- On same hot skillet, place hot dogs, cut side down. Grill evenly.
- To assemble, take bottom half of torta bread and spread with mustard. Arrange 4 hot dog halves on top. Layer with cheese slices, onions and avocado slices. Spread refried beans on the inside top half of the bread and place on top of avocado slices.
- Serve with pickled jalapeños.