I love cinnamon rolls. They are my favorite mall treat during shopping escapades. I enjoy watching them being made and close my eyes when they are spread with large amounts of butter. I try to pretend they are spreading them with a zero calorie, magical dessert cream that tastes like butter. But sadly, no. That’s not quite the case. I had to do something about this ASAP.
As if cinnamon rolls weren’t fun enough, I decided to shrink them into bite size treats and insert a stick in them. Not quite a cake pop but just as cute, these little quaint desserts have less butter than the big cinnamon rolls we all love. Because of their size they have less calories too.
These sweet treats will liven up any party. Little hands will love to hold on to them as they are quickly devoured. Dress them up with a pretty bow and you’ve got yourself the talk of the party.
- 4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 bamboo skewers, cut in half (20 sticks total)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, heat milk until it begins to simmer. Pour milk into bowl of a standing mixer and add the yeast. Stir with spoon until combined. Add flour, butter, sugar, salt and eggs. Mix with hook attachment at medium speed until dough is sticky and pulls away from sides of bowl. Remove dough from bowl, shape into a ball and set aside.
- Grease mixing bowl with non-stick cooking spray, place dough back into the bowl, cover in plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot. Approximately 1 ½ hours. The dough will double in size.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt butter and set aside. In a medium separate bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Prepare two baking sheets by spraying them with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer the dough to a large work surface. Extend into two 8 x10” pieces. Brush pieces with melted butter and top with filling.
- Starting on the longer side, roll each piece and finish with the seam side down.
- Cut each roll in 1-inch pieces. Place each cut piece on baking sheet. Cover once again and let rise in a warm spot for approximately 25 minutes. Rolls will double in size once again.
- Bake rolls for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
- To make the glaze, mix cream cheese, vanilla, butter, salt and powder sugar in bowl of mixer until mixture is creamy.
- Insert a bamboo skewer into each roll and top with cream cheese glaze.