This is a sponsored post by Sprouts Farmers Market and Simply Organic. Thank you for supporting the brands I love that make this website possible.
The warm weather is slowly making its way out of Southern California and this makes me so excited to start cooking those warm, comfort dishes that make the fall season so special. One of those comfort dishes is my chipotle mushroom chili. It is so special, I decided to submit it to Sprouts Farmers Market Simply Organic #ChooseMyChili challenge.
Inspired by my love of mushrooms, I created this meatless dish with plump cremini and shitake mushrooms. Their earthiness alone makes this recipe so flavorful and chunky, you won’t miss the meat traditionally added to this fall comfort favorite.
The hardiness comes from the medley of vegetables such as fire roasted tomatoes and bell peppers. Legumes, such as kidney beans and chickpeas give it a delicious mouthful of texture. A little goes a long way this is the perfect meal to feed a hungry football crowd or to serve as a mid-week family dinner.
The smokiness of Simply Organic Chipotle Powder give this recipe a unique spicy kick. And the variety of seasonings, such as Simply Organic cumin, thyme, oregano and black pepper bring the flavors together with the perfect balance. If you prefer a vegan chili, simply omit the toppings of shredded cheese and sour cream or replace with a vegan options such as avocado and tortilla strips. The toppings are your preference.
If you like my chili recipe, vote here. There are eight other fabulous recipes in the running too so click on by and check them out! By voting, you could win a chili prize bundle courtesy of Simply Organic, including a Crockpot, a spice rack, apron and a $50 Sprouts gift card.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Chipotle Powder
- ½ teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- sour cream
- Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, cocoa powder, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, black pepper and salt. Stir to combine and add broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; bout 5 minutes.
- Stir in garbanzo beans and red beans. Continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes; covered.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese and cilantro leaves.