This is part of a sponsored collaboration with Vive Mejor and DiMe Media. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
If you ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you that I break for ice cream. You want me to drive on the road trip? Give me ice cream. You want me to put away the clean dishes? Give me ice cream. I’ll cook you a meal but you bring the ice cream. I’ll say yes to anything as long as ice cream is involved.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is by stirring it as fast as I can in a bowl, melting it to a soft consistency and making ice cream “soup”. I’m proud to say that my eight-year-old son does the same. Maybe it’s because it eliminates the chance of brain freeze. Or because I think that slurping it from a spoon is more fun to eat. What ever the reason might be. I love it and I think I’ve found the perfect way to enjoy ice cream with an adult twist.
I was inspired to create a rendition of a great piña colada split recipe on ViveMejor.com. I took a Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream scoop and topped off a slice of grilled pineapple. Then I sprinkled toasted sweetened coconut shreds and drizzled with a hot buttered rum sauce. The cherry on top WAS a cherry on top this fabulous combination.
The warmth of the grilled and extra sweet pineapple slice is just the right temperature to melt the creamy natural vanilla ice cream scoop. The rum buttered sauce drizzled on top can be served hot or at room temperature. I like it warm because, again, I love the taste of melted ice cream (or ice cream “soup”, as I like to call it).
As any ViveMejor.com recipe, you can always give their recipes your own twist. Omit the hot buttered rum sauce and replace it with dulce de leche or condensed milk for a kid friendly dessert. Don’t like pineapple? Use strawberries or peaches instead. It’s your call. Whatever it takes to make this sweltering summer heat less brutal.
Want more ideas? Find your meal inspirations one click away by visiting ViveMejor.com. Get more help with your menu planning by following the hashtag #MiCocinaViveMejor on social media or follow ViveMejor on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to take your weekly menu to another level.
- 6 pineapple slices, patted dry
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 scoops Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
- 6 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 6 marachino cherries
- Heat small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, salt and condensed milk. Bring to a boil stirring frequently until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in rum and vanilla extract. Set aside or place in a serving container. Can be stored in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high temperature. Brush pineapple slices on both sides with butter. Grill for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from heat and place each slice on a serving plate. Top with ice cream scoop, 1 tablespoon coconut, a drizzle of hot buttered rum sauce and a marachino cherry. Serve immediately.