This is part of a sponsored collaboration with Vive Mejor and DiMe Media. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
This week, I visited New York City not ready to be welcomed by the cold and gloomy weather. It was inconceivable to me to be wearing my wool coat in the middle of April. Luckily, I found it stored deep inside my closet, and packed it with skepticism for my trip. Being there just a couple of days made me realize just how much I miss the warm California sun and the fresh food that goes with it during this time of year. I couldn’t wait to get home and let the sun kiss my face as I enjoyed spring food in the outdoors.
Ceviche is the perfect dish to enjoy on a warm spring day and that was on top of my list to make when I returned home. It’s the epitome of freshness and ease during hectic days when all busy families want to do is have a satisfying and delicious meal ready at the table. I searched ViveMejor.com and found and endless listing of quick, simple recipes that are Latin inspired and use sustainably source options.
With just a few ingredients, I was able to prepare a full spread as a mid-week meal for my family with no fuss. This shrimp ceviche recipe that I found at ViveMejor.com, calls for the shrimp to be cooked. It reminded me of a picnic salad because it also includes Best Foods/Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise, made with cage-free eggs and sustainably sourced oils. This got my creative juices flowing and I decided to turn it into a tostada.
For seasoning, all I used Knorr® Shrimp Flavor Bouillon. An ingredient that my mother used and continues to use in some of my favorite soups and stews. I loved the versatility of this “salad” because It can easily be wrapped in lettuce, radicchio, endives or a corn or flour tortilla. You can also incorporate your favorite vegetables. This one calls for bell peppers, red onion and tomato but you can also include chopped celery, peas and corn. It’s so easy to make this recipe your own.
Meal time doesn’t have to be boring and bland. I found ViveMejor.com to be a great source for meal planning and recipe inspiration. Need more ideas? Follow the hashtag #MiCocinaViveMejor on social media or follow ViveMejor on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to take your weekly menu to another level.
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined, leave some with tail-on for garnish
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Knorr® Shrimp Flavor Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 12 small tostadas
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Sprinkle shrimp with Knorr® Shrimp Flavor Bouillon.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook shrimp, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes.
- Coarsely chop shrimp, then place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.
- Serve on tostadas. If desired, top with diced or sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and decorate with tail-on shrimp.