This is a sponsored post by Acorn Influence and Barilla. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this website possible.
We are in spring break mode and we decided to have a staycation this year. In past years, we usually plan a local getaway, a road trip or a quick flight, but this year was one of those years where we just want to stay home and just “be.” In between spring cleaning, gardening and a bathroom remodel during our staycation, I still have to find time to constantly make quick, balanced meals that are satisfying and kid friendly.
Pasta always gets a “thumbs up” in my home, so that was first on my meal prep list. I love using Barilla for my pasta dishes and I was excited to give their Barilla ProteinPLUS variety a try during our time at home this week. Protein? Yes! Barilla ProteinPlus gets its source of lean protein from a simple blend of egg whites, grains, lentils and chickpeas. What a great combination of tasty ingredients that give it great texture too. This delicious and wholesome pasta provides 17g of protein (per 3.5-ounce portion) from all natural vegetarian ingredients. Plus, it’s a good source of fiber and ALA Omega 3.
Mushrooms and spinach are two of my favorite pasta pairings. They cook quickly and are packed with nutrients. With Barilla ProteinPLUS ready in just 10 minutes, I knew this meal would be ready in just a jiffy. You really can’t beat the benefits, tasty flavor and convenience of this recipe. Plus, a little goes a long way when feeding a large crowd.
Barilla not only offers a protein rich pasta, you can also find a gluten-free variety in the pasta isle. Read all about it in Parents Magazine’s “Top 25 Allergy Free Foods.” If you are ready to cook delicious pasta that is delicious, quick and convenient, head over to your nearest Walmart and get $1.00 cash back on your next purchase of Barilla products with this coupon. Need recipe inspiration? Follow along #BarillaPlus, #BarillaGlutenFree or on Pinterest for great ideas.
- 1 14.5-ounce package Barilla Protein Plus Farfalle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt to taste. Add pasta to boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach, 1 cup at a time. Add thyme, salt and pepper. When spinach has completely wilted, add pasta and stir to mix evenly. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and serve. Top with crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.