I got a new waffle iron and I’ve been waffling everything! From breakfast quesadillas to hash browns and cinnamon rolls. I’ve been having so much fun with it but my sole purpose of purchasing a waffle iron was to make breakfast a weekend family event to look forward to. Waffle Weekends were born.
The recipe I created for our first Waffle Weekend were these Multi Grain waffles with nectarines. I wanted to include as many grains in the batter as possible and top them off with the freshest fruit in season. Now Waffle Weekends are a “thing” and this recipe is one of my favorites to welcome our weekends with a few times a month. The recipe calls for a few ingredients you can find at your specialty foods market and the oat flour I made myself by milling rolled oats in a coffee grinder. It’s surprisingly simple.
Toppings can include whatever fruit you have in your fruit bowl or just go all in with whipped cream, a drizzle of dulce de leche or chocolate syrup. Celebrate your Waffle Weekend any way you want with this recipe as a base for something amazing.
Recipe developed for Nestle’s El Mejor Nido.
Enjoy these crispy, airy multi-grain waffles topped with your favorite fruit and make brunch extra special this weekend.
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ¼ cup Nestle Coffee Mate Natural Bliss Vanilla flavor
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 nectarines, pitted and sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- Combine whole wheat flour, oat flour, flax seed meal, chia seeds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk, Coffee-mate, water and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine all ingredients. For thinner batter, add water a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Preheat waffle iron. Grease grids with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil cooking spray. Pour ½ cup batter on center of grids and bake to preference. Serve with nectarine slices.