This is a sponsored post by Bob Evans. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.
It’s been a hectic week. All of a sudden all of my projects piled up at once and now I find myself in an abyss of recipe testing, tastings and client meetings. All that time in the kitchen limits my time well,… in the kitchen. Yup. The irony.
To get my family fed with some home cooking, I tend to have those staple foods most Latin families keep readily available for times like these. Rice is a given, beans of course, veggies that make great sauces such as tomatoes, chilies, onions and zucchini and a flavorful protein that is inexpensive and easy to prepare. Lately, I’ve been cooking with Bob Evans Original Roll Sausage. It’s made with premium cuts of pork with lots of flavor so no seasoning is needed for this dish. The veggies, sausage and cooked rice is all you need for full-on family meal.
I was telling my friend who is from Peru that I had this great sausage full of flavor and she suggested arroz tapado, a Peruvian dish consisting of a three layers. The bottom layer of rice (could also be brown rice or quinoa), the second layer of protein (sausage or ground beef) and the top layer of rice again. The dish is very hearty, tasty, simple to assemble and very impressive. I had to make this!
Next time, you’re in a “what to make for dinner” bind, I guarantee this delicious Peruvian dish will please everyone around the dinner table. Include your favorite vegetables in the mix, and see how much everyone will love arroz tapado for dinner time and time again.
- 4 cups, warm cooked white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) package Bob Evans Original Roll Sausage
- ¾ cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, chopped
- non-stick cooking spray
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat sausage and onion in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir to mix ingredients, breaking up the meat. Cook until brown; approximately 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and carrot to meat mixture. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini to mixture. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray small bowl, ramekin or wide cup with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon; approximately 4 tablespoons of rice to the bottom of the bowl, pressing down, making a layer. Top with sausage/vegetable mixture, pressing down to create layer. Top with more rice, pressing down making the top layer.
- Place a serving plate over bowl and turn upside down. Carefully remove bowl and serve.