My favorite time of the year is here! My kitchen and brain have been working overtime to create some really fun Dia de los Muertos and Halloween recipes. In the next couple of weeks, I will be sharing them with you here. I know you want to spend time with your family during this special time of the year, so I kept them practically effortless and quick.
I am starting off this special season with a fun treat to prepare with the kids as Day of the Dead approaches. All you need is some cookie dough, frosting, your favorite candies to decorate these colorful sugar skulls and some popsicle sticks. The popsicle sticks add a unique touch as it makes it simple to display, transport and easy for little hands to hold on to their treat.
If you don’t celebrate Day of the Dead, you can always change up the decorations with Halloween themed candy. Let your imagination go wild this fall and have fun. I can’t wait to share more with you!
- 1 package (16 oz) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Dough
- 12 wooden craft sticks
- 12 NESTE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 2 (4.25) tubes decorating white icing
- 24 pieces Sweet Tarts
- 1/3 cup pink and purple Nerds
- Break dough along pre-scored lines. Roll 2 squares into a ball. Place six balls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Insert sticks into each ball to resemble a lollipop; flatten dough slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; gently remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Outline a skull shape on each skull with icing then fill with more icing. Spread with a butter knife filling out skull shape. Repeat with remaining cookie pops.
- Decorate using Sweet Tarts as eyes, chocolate morsel as a nose and Nerds to outline eyes and create a mouth. Let set for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe modified from El Mejor Nido for Nestle and HEB.