Are you located in the Los Angeles area and are looking for somewhere to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos? Siempre Mujer, the largest Spanish-language lifestyle magazine for Latinas in the U.S. will be holding a very special event at The Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA). MOLAA is the only museum in the country dedicated to modern and contemporary Latin American art and will host second-annual Day of the Dead fundraiser celebrating the traditional Mexican holiday rapidly gaining popularity in America and around the world. I had the opportunity to attend last year and I was blow away by the quality of work exhibited at the the event. You simply cannot miss this.
The event will take place at MOLAA in Long Beach, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 30, at 8 p.m., it is open to the public. Tickets are available both online and at the door. The 2014 event raised more than $75,000, and proceeds from ticket sales and the silent auction will continue to benefit MOLAA’s exhibition and art education initiatives.
The theme of the event, Fotos y Recuerdos celebrates the memory and enduring legacy of Selena’s music two decades after her death. The museum will also display a Community Altar honoring the Tejano artist.
The fundraiser will also kick off MOLAA’s first-ever Day of the Dead Art & Altar Exhibition, featuring A Room of Her Own, an altar installation created by renowned author Sandra Cisneros honoring her mother, Elvira Cordero Cisneros, which was previously on display in The National Museum of American History, as well as additional altars created by local artists. Attendees will enjoy a private viewing of the exhibit, which runs through Nov. 29.
Cisneros’ mother was a devotee of museums and by displaying the final installation of her traveling altar at the Museum of Latin America Art is only appropriate
The event is expected to attract more than 500 leaders in art, media, entertainment, politics, philanthropy and business.
The fun does not stop there. Additional event highlights include:
- Musical performances by Thee Commons, Boogaloo Assassins, Buyepongo, and Eastside Luv Residente D.J. Bsyde Morales.
- Special guest appearances by Sandra Cisneros, the renowned author of The House on Mango Street and the upcoming A House of My Own, and Va por Ti finalist Virginia Stille.
- Live painting by Los Angeles-based artist Robert Vargas.
- A silent auction featuring exclusive travel, art and entertainment experiences.
- Specialty cocktails and traditional Mexican cuisine with a twist.
- Day of the Dead-inspired face painting.
For more information, please visit http://molaa.org/diadelosmuertosgala.aspx.