One of the days I look forward to every year is National Margarita Day. February 22 marks a day of lots of Tequila mixed with those fresh ingredients of the season. Because I’m so lucky to live in California and have so many tropical ingredients available to me practically year round, my possibilities are endless.
With fresh papayas and mint sprigs provided by my friends at Melissa’s Produce, I was able to really get creative and concoct a minty papaya margarita with a nice, spicy kick. The spicy-sweet combination reminds me of papaya sold on the streets of Downtown LA (and Mexico, of course) with a good dose of lime juice and Tajin. The most mouthwatering combination one could ever experience.
If papayas are not available in your area, try this recipe with cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple or watermelon instead. If you are not one for spice, omit the dried chile. It’s just as perfect and refreshing. A simple recipe with a celebration of flavors you will truly enjoy.
Happy National Margarita Day! Salud!
- 1 Large Mexican Papaya
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mint sprigs, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups Tequila Blanco
- 5 dried chiles de arbol, divided
- Slice the papaya lenghtwise in half and scoop out and discard seeds. Remove papaya flesh with a large spoon and place in a blender container.
- Remove seeds and stem from one dried chile de arbol.
- Add sugar, mint, lime juice, seeded chile and Tequila to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a pitcher with ice and serve. Garnish with remaining dried chiles de arbol.
If Mexican papaya is not available, substitute with 2 strawberry papayas or 1 large Hawaiian papayas.
Follow along #NationalMargaritaDay and get lots of great Margarita Recipes from fellow food bloggers:
- Blood Orange Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Blood Orange Margarita from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Caramelized Grapefruit Margarita from girlichef
- Cinnamon Orange Margarita from Sweet Life
- Cool Margarita Mule from Peaceful Cooking
- Iced Coffee Margarita from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Minty Papaya Margarita with Chile de Arbol Spice from Nibbles and Feasts
- Pomelo Margaritas from Food Lust People Love
- Winter Pomelo Ginger Margarita from Muy Bueno Cookbook
Margarita Inspired Food
- Blood Orange Margarita Jello Shots from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pink Cadillac Margarita Cupcakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salted Margarita Shortbread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Lime Margarita Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Lime Aide Margarita Popsicles from Simply Healthy Family