During my college years, breakfast tacos at the Commons were my go-to fuel source for dreadful Monday-Wednesday-Friday early morning Math classes. 7am, taco in one hand, strong coffee in the other and a backpack full books, I’d walk in an auditorium full of confused half asleep college freshmen.
Missing those tacos but not the class, I decided to make my version of breakfast tacos using the happy egg co. free range eggs. The happy egg co. eggs come from hens free to roam five acres (that’s four football fields!) of green pasture every day. Not only do they get to roam the great outdoors, but they have the freedom to perch, play and take dust baths as they wish.
In an effort to increase awareness about its mission to make humanely produced eggs available to all consumers, the happy egg co. kicked-off a multi-market Hendependence marketing campaign. California recently enacted Propositon 2 (Prop 2), which ensures that egg-laying hens have enough room to turn around freely, lie down, stand up and fully extend their wings, has brought the welfare of farm animals to national attention. The happy egg co. goes beyond that.
The delicious brown-shelled never contain antibiotics or hormones. The happy chickens that lay these wonderful eggs are fed vegetarian feed to compliment their pasture-foraged diet.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, rinsed and chopped in small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 fajita size flour tortillas
- 4 cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil on a sautee pan over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to stir potatoes. Cook for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk, beat until combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over low-medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes and serrano chile. Cook for 2 minutes and fold in egg mixture. Stir until eggs set. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas. Spoon 2 tablespoons of cooked egg mixture and 2 tablespons of potatoes on each tortilla. Sprikle with chopped cilantro and your favorite salsa. Serve with mashed avocado on the side.