Tortilla soup is one of those soups that I can never turn down. I love ordering it at restaurants and trying out my friend’s and family’s variation of the recipe because everyone has their own special way of preparing it. Some make it with a tad of cumin (which I love!), some add crema to the broth and others don’t even include any type of protein at all, and let the broth captivate their palate.
I like to prepare my tortilla soup with tender turkey meat in a tomato base and load it with toppings. Lots and lots of toppings. To make things easier, I decided to prepare this soup in my new Hamilton Beach Set’n Forget 6-quart programmable slow cooker with spoon and lid. Just as the name of this essential kitchen says, that is exactly what I did… I set it and forgot all about it until the aroma of cooked turkey and simmering tomatoes let me know my soup was about to be ready.
The Set and Forget slow cooker features:
- Three (3) choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual
- Probe mode is perfect for cooking large cuts of meat or for recipes that require food to reach a certain temperature
- Thermometer probe reads the actual temperature of food as it cooks; the temperature is displayed on the slow cooker control panel
- Travel-friendly design secures contents en route to parties, potlucks, family gatherings and tailgating
- The lid securely seals in place with sturdy wire clips on each handle
- 6 quart removable stoneware crock fits a 6 lb. chicken or a 4 lb. roast
- Wraparound, even heat cooks food evenly and consistently
- Full-grip handles make carrying heavy meals easier
- Power interrupt protection keeps slow cooker on during a brief power outage
- Questions are supported by a toll-free call center located in the U.S.
- Backed with a one-year warranty
and guess what?! I am giving one away here to one lucky reader. Just in time for the holidays! All you have to do is enter below. Good luck!
Slow Cooker Turkey Tortilla Soup
2.5 pounds bone-in turkey thighs
1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can petite cut tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth, divided
2 large dried chiles guajillo, chopped in small strips, reserve ¼ cup for garnish
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon whole cumin
2 bay leaves
1/ teaspoon garlic salt
queso fresco, cubed
tortilla strips, fried
dried mexican oregano
Place turkey in slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes with liquid, 2 cups chicken broth, chile guajillo, onion, garlic, cumin and bay leaves. Stir to combine and pour over turkey thighs.
Cook on high for 3 hours. Shred turkey with two forks. Discard bone and skin. Add remaining cup of chicken broth and add garlic salt. Cover and cook for one more hour.
Serve and top with avocado, queso fresco, tortilla strips, dried oregano and lemon juice.
This is a sponsored post by Hamilton Beach. All opinions are 100% my own.