The fall season is about to begin. But that doesn’t mean that my paleta season will be ending any time soon. Living in California, September tends to be one of the hottest months of the year, which means that I still have 30 more warm days to indulge in my favorite frozen treats.
Since fall is my favorite season of the year, I am torn. I love paletas but I am really looking forward to the fall colors, wearing sweaters, scarfs and definitely welcoming the beginning of the holidays.
Bottles of rompope, (or eggnog) in our refrigerator is a sure sign of chilly holiday nights to come but what if I turn this coveted holiday drink into a summer treat? Here is the delicious result! Bye summer!
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick plus 24 small cinnamon sticks 2” long
- 2 cups rompope (or eggnog)
- In a large saucepan over low heat, combine milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick. Stir well until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in rompope and continue cooking until mixtures begins to thicken; approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat and remove cinnamon stick. Let cool.
- Pour in rompope mixture into 2 ice cube trays. Cover ice cube trays with aluminum foil and pierce through each ice cube compartment with 2” cinnamon sticks. Carefully place in freezer and freeze for 4 hours.
- To unmold ice pops, run twist the tray util cubes come loose. Or carefully run bottom of ice cube tray under luke warm water for 10 seconds then slide them from the molds.