There are so many reasons to celebrate today. First of all, it’s Friday! Monday is Labor Day, yes! Three day weekend! And last but not least, yesterday was National Bacon Day and tomorrow is National Cabernet Day, that makes today #Cabacon Day! I think I am going to explode with glee!
To celebrate, BevMo! has sent me a #Cabacon package to indulge in and have my own tasting celebration. Three decadent cabernets selected by their resident wine expert, Wilfred Wong made their way to my doorstep and made my day. The package was accompanied by tasty bacon chocolate by Vosges and bacon smoked Gouda New York Artisanal Cheese by Yancey’s Fancy. It was a great mail day for me.
Before cracking open my special selections, I was inspired to create my own #Cabacon celebratory treat: Cabernet-Candied Bacon. Check out the super-simple recipe at the end of this post and find out how you can win a $25 BevMo! gift card to stock up for your next party. You can make your purchases online if you don’t have a BevMo! store near you.
And now, let’s talk about the wines sampled…
Main & Geary Cabernet Sauvignon ’10
91 Point rating – Ultra -rich but not over the top. Perfect, elegant and flavorful. I could detect the hints of ripe, black currants and cassis flavors. Price: $19.95 but with ClubBev: $17.95
Longhand Cabernet Sauvignon ’11
93 Point rating– An absolute stunner, this exotic and enticing cabernet is textured and complex with hints of plums, boysenberries and dried orange peel. Price: $29.95 but with ClubBev $24.95
Athenaeum Cabernet Sauvignon ’10
91 Point rating – This one has to be my favorite of the three. I’m a big fan of sweet tannins, black fruit with hints of oak. Price $39.95 but with ClubBev: $29.95
- 1 pound quality bacon, sliced in thick pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cabernet sauvignon
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine brown sugar and wine in a small bowl, whisking well to form a thin syrup. Set aside.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top. Place the pieces of bacon on top of the rack in single layers. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush one side of the bacon with the wine syrup. Flip, and coat the other side with the syrup as well. Return to oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and repeat until all wine syrup has been used.
- Remove from oven and pierce with bamboo skewers. Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
And now it’s time for a GIVEAWAY!
Enter to win:
- A BevMo! $25 gift card
You can have up to 4 entries each; however, please note that you have to comment back and let me know which of the actions you took, so that I can keep track of them.
1. Mandatory entry: Comment below and tell me how you would celebrate #Cabacon Day.
2. Like Nibbles and Feasts on Facebook
3. Follow Nibbles and Feasts on Twitter
4. Tweet about the giveaway and come back here letting me know that you did. Sample tweet: Enter to win a #Cabacon @BevMo gift card via @NibblesNFeasts: http://bit.ly/15ntMom
Open to U.S. Residents only. No PO Boxes, please. Must be 18 years or older to enter. Contest ends September 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM, PST and one (1) winner will be randomly chosen from all entries through random.org.