I’ve been experimenting with lots of tequila lately. Not all at once, of course! Since we always tend to have a bottle at home that we save for special occasions, it’s usually enjoyed in celebratory shots with lots of toasts and laughter.
This time, I wanted to incorporate tequila in a brunch beverage or cocktail. Since I love sangria and will never go out of style in my book, I decided to prepare a refreshing sangria with one of my favorite fruits, strawberries. Now with Mother’s Day coming up, I would love to serve this for Sunday brunch.
Another drink that I absolutely adore is a Paloma. A Paloma cocktail is a tequila based cocktail, mixed with grapefruit soda, It has become quite trendy lately and stealing the limelight from the traditional Margarita cocktail, commonly served at this time of the year.
The Premier Paloma recipe below was provided by Don Julio Tequila and is made with fresh grapefruit juice. I had the opportunity to sample this refreshing drink at home and it was amazing. Cheers!
- 8 oz Don Julio Tequila, reposado
- 5 oz Madria Sangria® Sangria
- 3 oz Triple Sec
- 2 oz Lime Juice
- 20 strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced
- 1 large orange, sliced in rounds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a small saucepan, over low-medium heat, place 1 cup sliced strawberries and sugar. Stir until combined and the strawberries begin to soften, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place orange slices and the rest of the sliced strawberries in a large pitcher. Add tequila, lime juice and triple sec into pitcher. Add strawberry/sugar mixture and sangria. Stir and refrigerate for one hour. Serve over ice.
- 1 1/4 ounces Tequila Don Julio Reposado
- 2/3 ounce Italian Aperitif
- 2/3 ounce Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- 2/3 ounce Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/3 ounce Agave Nectar
- Grapefruit Wheel for Garnish
- Lemon Wedge for Garnish
- Combine Tequila Don Julio Reposado, Italian aperitif, fresh grapefruit juice, fresh lime juice and agave nectar into a cocktail shaker. Shake well. Strain contents into a highball glass over ice. Garnish with grapefruit wheel and lemon wedge.